Mission and Overview:
The Whydah Pirate Museum and its affiliated facilities house the largest collection of pirate artifacts ever recovered from a single shipwreck. In addition to recovering and preserving these artifacts, the museum’s mission is to provide educational content that not only engages and teaches students, but also passes on a story that is an important piece of local Cape Cod history.
We are seeking a part-time archaeologist/conservator to assist with the ongoing preservation of our collection of artifacts. This position will require an active driver’s license and vehicle or other method of transportation, as the nature of this job will necessitate traveling between our museum in West Yarmouth, MA and our offsite conservation laboratory in Brewster, MA.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties:
The ideal candidate for this position can expect to…
- Undertake the conservation of objects utilizing a variety of preservation techniques, as these objects may be made of metal, wood, glass, and occasional organic material. This also includes the proper maintenance and/or removal of objects from concretions (hardened lump formations of sand, clay, and seashells gleaned from the ocean floor).
- Prepare visual and written documentation of artifacts, and ensure all documentation is appropriately archived by our institution’s protocol.
- Demonstrate objects and the conservation process to our visitors onsite at the Museum lab, which may also include occasional participation in events or private tours.
Experience & Skills:
- Experience utilizing conservation and documentation tools, such as pneumatic air scribes, dental picks or other dissecting tools, soft-bristled brushes, glass lab equipment, chemical solutions (ex: polyethylene glycol [PEG], sodium hydroxide, or sodium sesquicarbonate), stir plates, and x-ray equipment.
- Master’s degree from an accredited graduate conservation program or equivalent.
- Previous experience with the examination and treatment of physical objects, preferably in an oceanographic context.
- Driver’s license or reliable transportation (for frequent movement between our conservation lab in Brewster, MA and our museum lab in West Yarmouth, MA).
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org