Join our team & support us in facilitating our historical & preservation endeavors
Mission and Overview:
The Whydah Pirate Museum and its affiliated facilities house the largest collection of pirate artifacts ever recovered from a single shipwreck. In addition to recovering and preserving these artifacts, the museum’s mission is to provide educational content that not only engages and teaches students, but also passes on a story that is an important piece of local Cape Cod history.
We are seeking a part-time archaeologist/conservator to assist with the ongoing preservation of our collection of artifacts. This position will require an active driver’s license and vehicle or other method of transportation, as the nature of this job will necessitate traveling between our museum in West Yarmouth, MA and our offsite conservation laboratory in Brewster, MA.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties:
The ideal candidate for this position can expect to…
- Undertake the conservation of objects utilizing a variety of preservation techniques, as these objects may be made of metal, wood, glass, and occasional organic material. This also includes the proper maintenance and/or removal of objects from concretions (hardened lump formations of sand, clay, and seashells gleaned from the ocean floor).
- Prepare visual and written documentation of artifacts, and ensure all documentation is appropriately archived by our institution’s protocol.
- Demonstrate objects and the conservation process to our visitors onsite at the Museum lab, which may also include occasional participation in events or private tours.
Experience & Skills:
- Experience utilizing conservation and documentation tools, such as pneumatic air scribes, dental picks or other dissecting tools, soft-bristled brushes, glass lab equipment, chemical solutions (ex: polyethylene glycol [PEG], sodium hydroxide, or sodium sesquicarbonate), stir plates, and x-ray equipment.
- Master’s degree from an accredited graduate conservation program or equivalent.
- Previous experience with the examination and treatment of physical objects, preferably in an oceanographic context.
- Driver’s license or reliable transportation (for frequent movement between our conservation lab in Brewster, MA and our museum lab in West Yarmouth, MA).
Please contact us at [email protected]
Visitor Services Associate
The Whydah Pirate Museum is seeking a Visitor Services Associate who is responsible for engaging with the public to provide an educational, safe and memorable experience. The Visitor Services Associate is expected to assist with all aspects of visitor services at the museum including front desk general admission sales, membership promotion and retail sales, and assisting with answering questions pertaining to exhibits, and museum programs.
This position maintains flexible hours, including weekends and holidays as necessary. This is a part-time position, is located at 674 MA-28 W. Yarmouth, MA.
Please email your resume to [email protected]
- Assists with general museum reception and visitor admission, maintaining the highest standards of customer service for all visitors
- Responds effectively and knowledgeably to questions from visitors regarding all aspects of the museum including exhibit information, planned programs/events, local tourist information, along with membership and volunteer opportunities
- Responsible for all opening and closing procedures for exhibition spaces and reception desk
- Performs retail sales processing for museum admission, events tickets, and membership sales through museum’s software platform – FareHarbor
- Proves knowledgeable about membership levels & benefits and promotes membership sales
- Performs routine cleaning of exhibition spaces to ensure the best possible visitor experience; this could include sweeping floors/spot mopping as necessary and cleaning cases
- Completes routine/basic disinfection of exhibits for COVID-19 safety compliance
- Assists programs, including planning and executing programs
- Troubleshoots simple technology failures with exhibits. Answers the telephone and directs calls to appropriate staff
- Manages group check-in, assists tour guides and museum educators with group management, and answers questions for groups concerning the logistics of their visit, including bus and vehicle parking
- Supports partner tours and programming
- Assists with group sales (booking group tours) as needed
- Performs store maintenance, restocks merchandise, completes quarterly inventories, fills online orders, and maintains appearance of shop
- Access to reliable transportation and college preferred, high school or G.E.D. required
- Two or more years of work experience in retail or customer service position preferred
- Exceptional customer service abilities, accuracy, enthusiasm and productive work ethic
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a diverse population of visitors and staff
- Ability to work unsupervised and make safe and responsible decisions
Front Desk Representative
The Whydah Pirate Museum is seeking to hire a part-time (hourly) Museum Associate to work at the front desk providing superior customer service, and welcoming guests, selling tickets and merchandise.
As a part-time Museum Associate at the Whydah Pirate Museum, you will:
- Deliver excellent customer service by making all visitors feel welcome.
- Operate a POS register and perform day-to-day functions.
- Develop a working knowledge of store merchandise.
- Show initiative in completing daily tasks as needed, such as ensuring the product displays are stocked, and museum displays are dusted and attractive.
- Fill in as needed at the front desk, assisting with house tours, and museum programs.
- Serve as an enthusiastic representative of the Whydah Pirate Museum.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of
the employee for this job.
You must have a background or demonstrate interest in retail and tourism
industry, in working with the public and youth audiences, and have a strong
understanding of Whydah’s history. You must also demonstrate a commitment to
excellent customer service with strong communication and interpersonal skills. You
must be excited about working in an interactive museum environment. You must be
reliable and personable, a team player with a good work ethic and a desire to learn
new skills on the job.
Please send an application to [email protected]. We look forward to
hearing from you!